Welcome to the Beta Gamma Chapter of the Alpha Chi Sigma Fraternity!
We are a professional and social fraternity for men and women in the chemical sciences. All members are bound by three fraternal objects:
- To bind its members with a tie of true and lasting friendship.
- To strive for the advancement of chemistry both as a science and as a profession.
- To aid its members by every honorable means in the attainment of their ambitions as chemists throughout their mortal lives.
We are a very active chapter at the University of California, Los Angeles partaking in various academic, philanthropic, and social events. We encourage all students interested in science (not just in the field of chemistry) to explore what our fraternity has to offer and consider pledging Alpha Chi Sigma.
Requirement: Have taken or currently taking at least 2 chemistry classes at UCLA
Fall 2019 Rush
|Tuesday, October 1st 6 p.m.
Young Hall 2033
Come meet our members and learn what makes AXS so unique!
|Wednesday, October 2nd 6 p.m.
Sunset Rec Mesa Picnic Area
Socialize with members while enjoying some BBQ and snacks.
|Thursday, October 3rd 6 p.m.
Young Hall 2033
Play games and icebreakers with our members
|Friday, October 4th
*Invite Only Event* Location will be announced. Dress Code:Business Casual
Isn't a fraternity supposed to be for men only?
- Although most fraternities for women call themselves sororities, the word "fraternity" is a more general term for a Greek letter organization. We are a fraternity in the true sense of the word.
What is a professional fraternity?
- A professional fraternity selects its members based on common professional goals and interests. In addition to our professional events, our members do partake in a variety of social events each quarter to ensure strong bonds of friendship.
What is "rush"?
- Rush is the recruitment process where a fraternity can familiarize itself with those interested in becoming members. For our chapter, this occurs during the first week (Week 1) of the Fall and Spring Quarters. During this week, our chapter hosts several social events and a barbecue at the end of the week so that potential pledges are able to interact with members and ask questions. Our members will also be making announcements in classrooms and handing out flyers. At the end of the Rush week, bids are handed out to individuals of whom the fraternity believes will be an asset and future ally in the pursuit of the Three Fraternal Objects. A bid is an invitation to pledgeship.
What is "pledging"?
- For many organizations and clubs, people can join by simply filling out a form and/or paying dues. Pledging is a more intensive, quarter-long process where a potential member interacts with the current members and learns more about the Fraternity.
- Anyone who is in the progress of or has taken at least two courses in chemistry may pledge Alpha Chi Sigma. Most undergraduates in science and engineering departments are automatically qualified.
Do our members haze pledges?
- ABSOLUTELY NOT. As a professional fraternity, we have a ZERO-TOLERANCE policy on hazing. Pledges who are uncomfortable with what is asked of them by a member of the fraternity should voice their concerns and, if necessary, report the matter to one of the chapter officers.
How much of a time committment is pledging?
- Expect to spend a minimum of three or four hours per week with fellow pledges and current members. We have mandatory pledge meetings once a week and recommended/mandatory activities every weekend. The time commitment is more than that to join most clubs, but much less than that to join a social fraternity. We will not wake you up at 5am to do push ups or make you run 10 miles! The time commitment for pledging is meant to be the same as for a minimally active member. Many pledges find themselves voluntarily spending more time with Alpha Chi Sigma than required. It's fun--you'll see.
What will I do as a pledge?
- As a pledge you will have a "big," an active member that acts as a mentor and will help you through the pledging process. You will learn about the history of the Fraternity and the significant events of our chapter. There are many events that are traditional and others that are strictly for fun. Pledges must attend the mandatory traditional events. As for the social events, we have bonfires, go ice skating, go paintballing, and play IM sports--just to name a few.
Is it expensive to join?
- No. There is a small fee for pledging and a one time membership fee.
Where can I find more information?
- If you are interested in rushing, please come to our lounge, 1275 Young Hall, for more information. We will have many Rush Events during the first week of the Fall and Spring quarters so that you can familiarize yourself with members. You can also email the Rush Chairs and/or the Vice Master Alchemists for more information.
Who is Captain Gary Shmorgon?
- Oh Captain, My Captain. Our fearless leader. The One, The Only, The God.
Alpha Chi Sigma, Beta Gamma Chapter
University of California, Los Angeles
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
1275 Young Hall